Friday, September 17, 2010

Anglo-Saxon Riddles

Below are three typical Anglo-Saxon styled riddles. They contain alliteration, four hard beats per measure, and a caesura, a natural break between beats two and three.
The answers are at the bottom of the post in a white font, making it very difficult to see. Read the riddles and think hard before you peek at the answers!


Riddle 1
 Frequently found, but I’m realistically rare
Joyful, jovial, compassion, and care
I can cause bliss sensed seconds diffused
Beautiful, bold, old and confused
Blood-pumper burns, from good and from grief
And the women that feel me, sing sighs of relief
Yet cavernous cuts, and heavy-hearts
I cause them too, and many departs
Regardless of this, I’m like required riches
In sickness and strength, I’m the saving stitches
A humble halo, the two are bound
At origin on own, in demise both found

Riddle 2
A carrier I am, of character creations
Made by the minds of the Christ’s-children
Vivid variance, filled with heaven-hue
My father a feather, my mother makes dark
Hold in your hand, a marvel of man
                                                    
Riddle 3 
Stuck souls screeching, aid they require
Lead in the land-boats, steel-cages so many
Helmet-bearers believe, ready with rage
Mangled men a plenty, wound-rivers rushing
The heavens have called, the saving surpassed
Land and its beauty, now a humankind hell
White-coats weary, but business unfinished
More stuck souls, aid the require



Answers:
Highlight the space between the ":" and the "-" to see the answers!
Riddle 1: Marriage-
Riddle 2: Ink Pen-
Riddle 3: War-