Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Boast

Below is a boast that I have written, much like what Beowulf speaks of throughout the epic. It is written in the typical Anglo-Saxon format, with four hard beats per line, a natural break in the middle of beats two and three, numerous points of alliteration, and a few kennings. Enjoy!
I am a Weigel, an element of Wiegand
I was born of the best and nothing less
A mother of masters, more love than any
A father that’s faithful, far from feared
My powers are pro, peaceful yet harsh
My works are wonderful with nothing awry
The life I live is lustrous with love
Hate for me is had by none

Accounts with the monster, I have had many
Slash of the throat, life-water rushing
Stake to the heart, center-rhythm done
The bothersome beast of Beck is beaten
Gazing at the screens is a joy of mine
The lives of others are less than mine
The level I’m on is higher than all
Compared to me, they are none
There sits my castle, reaching the sun
And even in day, it shines of stars
Spotless it is, yet not by servants
I scrub with ease, and clean with care
School is a challenge that I will defeat
Tall are my grades, yet I am not
My letter-list will be above all
My future and I will stand so high
Weigel of Wiegand, loved and loyal
I stand not tall, but at heart I am
The world I possess is a creation of mine
Weigel of Wiegand, Mari the marvelous