Friday, September 17, 2010

Journal 1: My Contemporary Hero

 Topic: Beowulf is a story about a hero from the misty reaches of the British past, a hero who faces violence, horror, and even death to save a people in mortal danger.  The epic’s events took place many centuries ago, but this story still speaks to people today, perhaps because so many of us are in need of a rescuer, a hero. Describe your hero, and then briefly analyze him or her using these questions: Take a moment to write about a contemporary hero, real or fictional, and the challenges he or she faces. What sort of evil or oppression does your hero confront? Why does he or she confront evil? What’s the motivation? For whom does your hero confront evil? What virtues does your hero represent?

     In my mind, the only hero I have is my mother, Tammy Lynn Ann Veronica Weigel. My mother faces the evil of everyday life. The world is completely against her, and she challenges it. She pushes forward to create happiness in our house. Her motivation is to try to better the lives of her children. She has been a single parent her entire life. She has had to play the role of mother and father for all three of her children. She has been there for me through everything, and yet my dad calls maybe once a month. She has done more for me than my father ever has. She represents the courage, determination, and dedication that any mother should have.